Chia seeds are considered an ancient grain since they were widely used by the Aztecs. They are a seed from an herb plant.. the chia pet plant! Yep. Same plant, except we are eating the seeds. The chia plant is from the mint family.
Here are 3 fast facts about these popular little gems:
- One ounce of chia seeds has 11 grams of dietary fiber, which is important to digestive health & function.
- They are packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, containing more than a piece of salmon, with nearly five grams in a one-ounce serving. These fats are important for brain health.
- Chia seeds absorb up to 12 times their weight and expand in your stomach to make you feel fuller, longer, assisting greatly in weight loss.
Banana Bread Chia Pudding:
1 medium Banana
1/2 cup Gluten-free oats
1 scoop Nanopro Vegan Vanilla Toffee flavored protein powder
1 cup Almond milk
1 tbsp. Chia Seeds
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tbsp. Agave nectar
1/3 cup chopped Pecans
1. In a blender, puree the banana, almond milk, cinnamon, Nanopro powder & sweetener
2. Transfer to a shallow storage container.
3. Stir in oats and chia seeds. Refrigerate overnight
4. In the morning, stir the pudding and pour it into a glass.
5. Top with pecans & banana.
Written by Tammy Fodrey