Omega-3s are essential for brain health, heart health, and immunity. Learn how I include healthy fats in my whole foods, plant-based lifestyle.
This smoothie was made with your brain in mind. It’s packed with brain boosters like avocado, cacao, and walnuts. The vitamin C from the mandarin oranges can also support our immune systems during cold and flu season. I added a vegan omega-3 powdered supplement made from golden flaxseed and marine algae. If you have ever experienced the unpleasant fishy burps shortly after taking a fish oil supplement, you’ll likely enjoy this fish-free alternative. I have extra adoration for this product because it also includes curcumin, vitamin Bs, vitamin D3, and prebiotic fiber! I have discussed the anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin here. Vitamin B12 is an important supplement, especially for vegans, as it is challenging to obtain adequate B12. Vitamin D3 supports brain functioning and immunity. It is crucial to obtain D3 in the darker months when we don’t see much sun. Prebiotic fiber has several potential benefits, one of which is gut health.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF OMEGA-3S
Studies have found that omega-3s may:
- boost brain functioning, especially during developmental years and later in life,
- assist in the prevention and treatment of depression and anxiety,
- support eye health through preventing macular degeneration,
- reduce insulin resistance (associated with PCOS and metabolic syndrome),
- relieve menstrual pain, perhaps better than ibuprofen,
- improve heart health through decreasing triglycerides and improving cholesterol,
- help fight autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s and more.
TASTE AND TEXTURE
I think chocolate and orange go together like peanut butter and jelly. This smoothie tastes like a mix between a Terry’s chocolate orange and an orange creamsicle. I like my smoothies extra thick and creamy (to the point I could eat them with a spoon!). You’ll love this one if you’re a smoothie-spooner, too.
- 1 cup nut milk
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 mandarin oranges
- 1 handful of walnuts or 1 tbsp nut butter
- 3/4 cup avocado, frozen
- 1 scoop nanomega3 pineapple orange
Place all ingredients in a blender and go for a whirl.
About the Author: Dr. Dylan Cutler is a PCOS Wellness Consultant, holistic health content creator, food photographer, fitness enthusiast, feminist, and vegan. She obtained her Ph.D. in obstetrics and gynecology specializing in PCOS. During her doctoral degree, she conducted scientific studies on women’s reproductive and metabolic health. She based her thesis on nutrition, physical activity, mindfulness, and supplementation for PCOS. You can find her recent work on Patreon. Visit her website: phruitfuldish.com